Holy snapping banana poo. I’m so excited right now. These cookies are dairy-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, autoimmune paleo friendly and gut-friendly. And guess what?! They taste amazing!
My Mumma – superstar that she is – created a fudgy wudgy cookie recipe to mimic the incredibly tasty and moist cookies that my sister and I loved from Subway. The fact that I can’t eat those cookies anymore was one of the only sticking points of grief after I transitioned to paleo eating and living – and then worse…autoimmune paleo with a dose of low FODMAP for good measure.
Not anymore! Now I have a damn good substitute.
I borrowed some inspiration from one of my favourite paleo women The Paleo Mom, who uses plantains as the base for some flour-free, nut-free treats, with great success. Check out her Decadent Double Chocolate Cookies if you can tolerate dairy and chocolate. I used raw cacao instead and left out the honey to avoid the dreaded FODMAPs.
What did I chuck in these babies:
2 green bananas
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp granulated molasses
1 tbsp of liquid molasses
3 tbsp of raw cacao powder
1/2 cup of cacao nibs
1/4 cup of bee pollen
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of tapioca arrowroot starch
1/8 tsp of baking soda
How we get our fudgy wudgy on:
1) Purée the bananas and add the molasses while melting the coconut oil in the microwave or stove top.
2) Add the cacao powder into the coconut oil and mix well.
3) Mix the cacao coconut mixture with the banana purée and blend together.
4) Add the vanilla, starch and baking soda and blend again.
5) Add half of the cacao nibs, mix well. Keep half of the nibs for sprinkling on top.
6) Spoon out onto a tray covered with baking paper. They will expand a little bit so give them some room.
7) Sprinkle bee pollen (very nutrient-dense) and the remaining cacao nibs on top.
8) Bake for 10 minutes in a 180 degree oven, they will still be moist and chewy.
9) Leave to cool on the baking paper (or eat warm – they didn’t last long enough to cool in my house!)